200 g quality dark chocolate (70%)
250 g unsalted butter
75 g dried sour cherries, optional
50 g chopped nuts, optional
80 g quality cocoa powder
65 g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
360 g caster sugar
4 large free-range eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 24cm square baking tin with grease proof paper.
- Snap the chocolate into a large bowl, add the butter and place over a pan of simmering water, until melted, stirring regularly. Stir through the cherries and nuts (if using).
- Sift the cocoa powder and flour into a separate bowl, add the baking powder and sugar, then mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate, cherry and nut mixture and stir together well. Beat the eggs, then mix in until you have a silky consistency.
- Pour the brownie mix into the baking tin, and place in the oven for around 25 minutes. You don’t want to overcook them so, unlike cakes, you don’t want a skewer to come out clean – the brownies should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle.